Friday, June 30, 2023

The Names of God - He That Formed You In the Womb

 

He That Formed You In the Womb

Before I formed you in the womb I knew you, before you were born I set you apart; I appointed you as a prophet to the nations. Jeremiah 1:5 (NIV)

I’ve spent a lot of time contemplating the word conception. We use this word to describe the moment which bring the egg and sperm together to begin the human life cycle. Why is this the word chosen? For those who believe in a higher power, it becomes apparent. If you attribute all life to be from God, then your beginning came from a “thought” in His mind.

When the mind is working to create, we conceive a thought which launches the creative process. We are “conceived” in the mind of God the moment the biological elements meet to form your DNA, something which has never existed before, and will never exist again.

Continuing with this thought, an inventor sees in their mind’s eye the creation before it is ever realized. Elon Musk “saw” the Tesla before the first one was ever driven. He “conceived” the electric car long before the production line began building them. In this same way I believe God conceived you. He saw you. There is purpose in you. There is great value in every double helix which makes up your very being.

The psalmist must have had one of these moments of contemplation when they penned these words:

For you created my inmost being;
    you knit me together in my mother’s womb.
I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made;
    your works are wonderful,
    I know that full well.
My frame was not hidden from you
    when I was made in the secret place,
    when I was woven together in the depths of the earth.
Your eyes saw my unformed body;
    all the days ordained for me were written in your book
    before one of them came to be.
How precious to me are your thoughts, God!
    How vast is the sum of them!
Were I to count them,
    they would outnumber the grains of sand—
    when I awake, I am still with you.
Psalm 139:13-18 (NIV)

Fearfully and wonderfully made. What a freeing thought to realize you were created instead of just some random happenstance of nature. This eliminates the possibility of “accidents”, speaking of unplanned pregnancies. You are no accident. God intentionally “thought” you into existence in order to bring your gifts, your passion, your influence, your genuine care and concern, into humanity in order to bless them.

I say this often (I’m very sarcastic by nature), “We are all unique – in exactly the same way.” However, there is much truth in this statement. The things that make you unique are the same for everyone, your appearance, personality, capabilities, etc. There is only one you. He That Formed You In the Womb doesn’t cast you away once you are conceived. He then remains with you all the days of your life, to help, to guide, to heal, to console, to encourage, to celebrate, to bless.

Allow the Creator to continue His work in you by taking time to get to know Him the way He knows you. You may be surprised by how much He loves you.

1 comment:

MarthaI Harris said...

The way you have defined this name is so beautiful! I wish everyone knew their origin!