Tuesday, August 29, 2023

The Journey – Day 35

The Journey – Day 35

Changing habits is an arduous process. I remember a poster I saw on the bulletin board in the School of Music at Samford University my freshman year (1977). It said:

Sow a thought; reap an act.
Sow an act; reap a habit.
Sow a habit; reap a character.
Sow a character; reap a destiny.

I have returned to these words many times since then. They speak volumes to me, and also challenge me to work at becoming someone with a destiny worth reaching. It is a constant process. At any given moment, you are moving toward the destiny formed by your current habits. Every day you are either reinforcing habits you already have, forming new ones, or trying to overcome some which are either detrimental or at the very least, non-productive.

The first step is identifying habits, then determining if they are beneficial or not. Some things you do not even realize are habitual behaviors. These are sometimes the most harmful.

I’m still in the process of taking a personal inventory to determine exactly where I am, then I can start moving toward the person I want to be. I feel I’m making progress. Each day brings new challenges, and each day choices have to be made, but I’m beginning to get accustomed to the change.


No comments: