Tuesday, May 27, 2014

Tuesday Thrombosis | 27 May 2014 – False Humility

One of the telling traits of a disciple of Christ is humility. It is also misunderstood, and consequently used a tool of control by the religious mindset. You hear this misconception played out in sermons, Christian music, and now social media. Comments like, “I just want a little cabin in the corner of heaven”, or, “I’m just the dirt under the toenail on the foot of Jesus.”

Some with even less “pride” than these would say, “I just want to be a doorkeeper in the Kingdom.” They do not even consider themselves worthy to be “in” heaven, so they just want to stand outside the door.

When Jesus came preaching The Kingdom he turned the known world on its ear. They had never encountered someone bold enough to claim to be The Son of God. To the religious minds of the day this was heresy; blasphemous talk; pride. The religious minds wanted to “control” Jesus, and the image with which he was being viewed by the masses.

John the Baptist made a bold declaration when others asked of him the reason he was yelling in the middle of the wilderness. He said, “I am the voice of one crying in the wilderness. Make straight his paths.” And again he said, “There is one coming after me that I am not even worthy to unstrap his sandals.” See, true humility is acknowledging God’s purpose for your life and walking in it.

Dave Ramsey has become a ubiquitous voice of financial council in the United States. His radio program is listened to by millions every day as he encourages them to get out of debt. I agree with his cause. I can always identify a fan of his by how they answer the question, “How are you?” Dave’s catch phrase for this question is “Better than I deserve.” There is nothing wrong with this comment unless you are a Christian. Let me explain.

First of all, I am not trying to say Dave is, or is not, a Christian. He confesses Christ on his program. He can speak for himself on this matter. The phrase “Better than I deserve” is the focus here.

For the Christian, this comment negates the grace of God available to you. In grace we do not “deserve” anything, yet we get everything! If your focus is still on what you have earned (deserve) then you are not living from a posture of grace. When a Christian utters the Ramsey mantra they are demonstrating false humility. Our American ears have gotten so numbed by this type of false humility that we cannot even see ourselves ever living as the kings and priests that our Father has called us to be.

It is only when we are willing to rise from the position of false humility, stand firmly on the declarations of the Word of God, and declare boldly with all of our being: “I am a son/daughter of the Most High God. Because of Christ, I now rule and reign IN THIS LIFE through Jesus Christ. Heaven’s resources are available to accomplish the plans God has for me.” THAT is humility.

Deserve? No. Bought and paid for you by the blood of Jesus? Yes.

Let this be your prayer:


Father, help me to see who I am in you. Your destiny for me is to become like your Son, Jesus. Help me root out false humility in every aspect of my life. Help me see through your eyes. In Jesus’ name.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I enjoy discussing Scripture with people who have a passion for it.. You have a very full statement, "Because of Christ, I now rule and reign IN THIS LIFE through Jesus Christ. Heaven’s resources are available to accomplish the plans God has for me.” THAT is humility." I was wondering if you could break it down and expound on the statement for me.

Thanks,
Jared

Dudley Harris said...

The Question: I enjoy discussing Scripture with people who have a passion for it.. You have a very full statement, "Because of Christ, I now rule and reign IN THIS LIFE through Jesus Christ. Heaven’s resources are available to accomplish the plans God has for me.” THAT is humility." I was wondering if you could break it down and expound on the statement for me.

The Reply:

Here is a break down of each statement and some passages to illustrate how I came to this conclusion.

Because of Christ, I now rule and reign IN THIS LIFE through Jesus Christ.

Romans 5:17 (KJV)
17 For if by one man's offence death reigned by one; much more they which receive abundance of grace and of the gift of righteousness shall reign in life by one, Jesus Christ.)

Revelation 1:5-6 (KJV) 5 And from Jesus Christ, who is the faithful witness, and the first begotten of the dead, and the prince of the kings of the earth. Unto him that loved us, and washed us from our sins in his own blood, 6 And hath made us kings and priests unto God and his Father; to him be glory and dominion for ever and ever. Amen.

Heaven’s resources are available to accomplish the plans God has for me.

Philippians 4:19 (KJV)
19 But my God shall supply all your need according to his riches in glory by Christ Jesus.
Matthew 6:31-33 (KJV) 31 Therefore take no thought, saying, What shall we eat? or, What shall we drink? or, Wherewithal shall we be clothed? 32 (For after all these things do the Gentiles seek:) for your heavenly Father knoweth that ye have need of all these things. 33 But seek ye first the kingdom of God, and his righteousness; and all these things shall be added unto you.

There are many examples of provision being supplied as we pursue the purpose God has for us. Here are a few:
Abraham sacrificing Isaac – Ram provided as Abraham was obedient.
Joshua and Jericho – Walls fell as Joshua was obedient.
Lepers in 2 Kings – As they went, the enemy army heard a sound that ran them away.

THAT is humility.

James 4:6 (KJV)
6 But he giveth more grace. Wherefore he saith, God resisteth the proud, but giveth grace unto the humble.

My definition of grace: The desire and ability to do God’s will. God gives us the desire to follow Him. We love Him because He first loved us. The Holy Spirit draws us to God. He then enables us to do His will by empowering us with the Holy Spirit to be witnesses in the earth.

Because this gift is available to everyone it is not putting another down to say that God loves me. There is nothing in accepting your call that puts another down. Actually, it’s quite the opposite. You are encouraging others to pursue the call God has on them, and praying for them, and supporting them.

Agreeing with God regarding His plans and purposes for your life cannot be seen as pride. It is my personal belief that this is humility; being willing to lay aside my desires and wants to give way to what the Lord wants for me.

I hope this helps to clarify the statement. In this blog I try to be brief so folks will read it. Thanks for taking time to read and comment. I’ll be glad to explain further if needed.

Blessings!