Monday, December 31, 2012

The New Year


The New Year

We Americans have developed an infatuation with New Year’s Day. I think I understand why. For many, life is a disappointment that becomes more emphatic as time passes. A new year reminds them that another year has passed and nothing has changed. However, just as the wrapped packages on Christmas morning brings excitement and joy of possibilities imagined, New Year’s Day presents hope that something better is in store; something new and exciting.

I, too, reflect on the past year to measure accomplishments. I also look to the new year with anticipation to events planned and dreams to be pursued. I have also come to realize that life is a process, not an event. Each day is important, not years. So for me, New Year’s Day is like the rest, a day to be enjoyed, to be maximized, to be lived.

This day reminds me of one a favorite passage of scripture that has blessed me for a long time. It’s found in Exodus 12:2. As Moses and Aaron led the nation of Israel out of Egyptian captivity, that had transformed a vibrant nation into slave labor for the pharaoh, the Lord spoke a powerful word to them. He said, “This month shall be unto you the beginning of months: it shall be the first month of the year to you. (KJV)” God told them to put the past behind you. Today is beginning of time in your life! You are no longer slaves to Egypt or the memories you have of that lifestyle. A new thing has begun: the life that God has chosen for you!

The reality is this: through Christ, any day can be a spiritual New Year’s Day for you! Once you have experienced THAT day, the rest are to be used in fulfilling the mission given to us by our Heavenly Father. Many equate being born again to the day I’m describing. That is a fitting analogy. However, THAT day may actually come after you have become a Christian. One minister I heard refer to someone after this experience as “being saved saved!”

You see, the nation of Israel was already God’s chosen people. He spoke that over them generations before this experience. The day referred to in Exodus 12 was the beginning of a journey that would bring Israel into the realization of their destiny.

I have chosen a “theme” for 2013: Seeing the Unseen in 2013! In Jeremiah 29:11 (NKJV) the Lord declares, “For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, says the LORD, thoughts of peace and not of evil, to give you a future and a hope.” I believe that is still His desire today; not just on New Year’s Day, but any day that we are willing to hear this word and allow it to penetrate the spiritual din generated by our environment. THAT day can occur ANY day that we finally hear the Lord speak to our hearts the truth concerning our place in His Kingdom.

In the grand scheme of things New Year’s Day is just another day. My prayer for you in 2013 is that you experience THAT day, which if truly embraced, will change your life forever.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

That's so true Dudley ! Makes me think of each day as a brick in the foundation of one's life. Each and every day (brick) is important in the process of building a life in which we become more Christ-like. That process continues until we meet Him face to face and oh what a day that will be !
Thank you for sharing your nuggets of gold ! I'll stay tuned. Love ya !
Sandi

Anonymous said...

I have spent the last few hours thinking about how this year can be better. I have thought about all the "resolutions" I have made in the past. I have thought about how I can be a better parent, spouse, friend this year. Something about it seems so cliche this year. I have had a lot of false starts in my life. Not all were terrible, but they just didn't launch me into what I thought they would at the time. I don't know if this year will be different. I just know that I want it to be different. I want something that is lasting, not just another emotional high. Not just another experience with God. I am ready for intimacy with my Creator. I am ready to hear his heartbeat. Know him and be known by Him...

Jen Smith said...

I can't wait to see what God has in store for 2013. Thanks for sharing.