Wednesday, December 26, 2012

Lost!

LOST!

One of the most enjoyable parts of my job (actually this is not part of my job at all) is sharing a brief word of encouragement prior to taking Communion. This is one such word.


First shared on November 15, 2009.

Have you ever been LOST? Truly LOST? When you become aware of the fact that you have no idea where you are, you must first admit that you are LOST.

One self-help organization developed a method of therapy whereby people admit they have a problem every time they meet. Then, through a process of will are given a path to recovery. Without recognition of a Power greater than human will, there is still little hope of lasting change.

Can you imagine gathering with a group of people only to talk about the fact that they are LOST, each person describing for the other how LOST they are? No, you want to find someone that knows The Way, and can help you find The Way out of your LOST condition.

If you are dropped into a maze, you can spend the rest of your life trying to get out. Since you have no idea where you are, it is impossible to know exactly where you need to go to get out. However, you can traverse ANY maze if you know where you started.

The same is true in our lives. When we come to the realization that we are LOST, without Christ in our heart, it is like waking up in a maze. Crying out to Father for mercy, repenting of our sin, and confessing Jesus Christ as our Savior and Lord, Father lifts us up out of our LOST condition and places us at the beginning of a new life with Him. Once you have a known point of reference, you can venture out and back without fear of becoming LOST because you know the way home.

Communion with God (prayer) and communion with the Body of Christ (Church) keep us in touch with home (Heaven). The bread and the wine is God’s GPS to keep us on the course He has set for us. Not just a cracker and juice, but discerning the Lord’s Body and Blood. Remembering how great a Salvation was provided for us through Jesus’ crucifixion, death, burial, being raised from the dead, ascending to heaven, and seated at the right hand of Father, where He now intercedes for you and I; that is discerning the Lord’s blood. And the Body of Christ, fellow believers, relating to them as family with love and respect and kindness; that is discerning the Lord’s body.

When traveling by plane, have you ever noticed the numbers printed on the runways? Have you ever wondered what the numbers meant? They represent the compass point for the direction of the runway. Before an airplane pilot takes off, he resets his compass to the coordinates printed on the runway. He then knows his place in the world and ensures his safe arrival at his destination. This cup and wafer is like the “resync” button on our compass. Jesus said “as often as you do, do it in remembrance of Me.”

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good writing! Interesting delivery and comparisons, didn't know about the numbers on the runway...so along with food for thought, I learned something new!

Anonymous said...

I agree with the first responder and I learned something new too. I have never responded to a blog before and I only did it now because I want to keep you encouraged to keep sharing.

BTW, I was just this morning recalling to a friend about being lost in a park when I was 5 years old and how it devastated me to know I was separated from my parents and didn't know how to find them. As a 5 yr. old I resorted to crying and soon a policeman was taking my hand and telling me not to worry because he would not leave me until he located my folks. We walked around and around until I spotted them and my heart took wings. They were in the same spot where I left them! What a hero that policeman was to me and my parents!

I can so identify with that "lost" feeling but as an adult it took me years to recognize that I had lost my way when I wandered away from my heavenly Father. That feeling of "finding" Him after a long time of wandering was the greatest FIND in the world. Now.....I hold on tighter to His hand!

Anonymous said...

I am so very glad that since I found Jesus I will never be completely lost again. He promises to Never Leave Me. He said that he is always with me. What comforting words. I won't ever be alone. So even tho I sometimes get off the path, He stays right with me. Anyway, that's my thought. Great blog, Dudley. I will visit often!

Dudley Harris said...

Thanks folks. I appreciate the feedback.

Anonymous said...

I too can relate to "being lost". As a child,also around the age of five,became lost from my mother in a department store. As she was shopping for cloths as women do,I became separated from her as I saw the candy stand.So I walked over to look at all the chocolate candy that they had,forgeting that my mother said "do not wander off". When I realized I was lost fear set in and then tears filled my eyes. I searched franticly for her.Finaly I spotted her and immediatly peace came to me. And so it is with God. When we are led astray by the lust of this world.We have allowed "things" to separate us from Him. I do not believe God will follow us into sin.His love never leaves us,but sin will separate us from God.

abutte said...

I know from experience with a family member, that the organization you speak of states "once an alcoholic, always an alcoholic". What a hopeless way of looking at your future. Thank God that we can know we are no longer lost, but found in Him, and that He orders our steps.

Dave D said...

Dudley I enjoyed this. Many never realize they are lost. Many do not want to admit they are. Some don't think they have a way out of that maze. Thank you God for showing me I was.