Wednesday, January 16, 2019

Half-attempts Are Not Enough

Yesterday I went to Walmart to find a humidifier. With the cold weather comes drier air which causes issues for sinuses (or should it be sini?). I entered the store and wandered toward the pharmacy area where this sort of thing is normally sold. I located the aisle and was surprised to find several different styles and models from which to choose.

I picked up the box of the model that caught my eye so I could take a closer look. On the front of the package there was a marketing blurb that said, "Be sure to pick up replacement filters." It then listed three different filter Model Numbers that would fit this particular humidifier.

I thought that would be a great idea, and the replacement filters were conveniently located right next to the humidifiers. There were several filters available, so I proceeded to locate the Model Number of the filter to ensure I chose the correct one. There was not a Model Number printed on the box!!

On the front of the filter box it also had a marketing blurb that said, "Use with xxxx, xxxx, or xxxx" which were the Model Numbers of the humidifiers that it fit. "Ah!", I thought. So I began searching on the humidifier box, only to learn that there was no Model Number on the humidifier!!

Someone had a great idea: place the corresponding Model Numbers on the packaging for easy matching. Someone else had a very bad idea: there is no need to place the Model Number of this device on the box. Two people, working for the same organization, made diametrically opposing decisions, leaving their potential customers frustrated and confused.

It is so important to have someone that sees the big picture review the process to ensure continuity. Be accountable to someone.

No comments: