Tuesday, May 24, 2016

Weapons for the Believer 4.8 – The Fruit of the Spirit – Self-Control

Weapons for the Believer 4.8 – The Fruit of the Spirit – Self-Control

According to Paul, there are weapons of warfare.

2 Corinthians 10:3-4 (ESV)
For though we walk in the flesh, we are not waging war according to the flesh. For the weapons of our warfare are not of the flesh but have divine power to destroy strongholds.

We are considering ten weapons that the Believer has at their disposal. We looked earlier at The Fruit of the Spirit in the post “Weapons for the Believer 4.” If you haven’t read it I encourage you to do so.  Paul gives us the list in Galatians.

Galatians 5:22 (ESV)
But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, self-control; against such things there is no law.

The original post on The Fruit of the Spirit (Weapons for the Believer 4) I mentioned a popular way of looking at this topic. Some teach that the Fruit of the Spirit is singular, Love, with each of the other fruit coming from the one. If you haven’t already done so, I encourage you to go back and read it.

Now I’m considering each Fruit of the Spirit in this manner. This time we are looking at Self-Control. Using Self-Control as the focus let’s see how it is reflected in our experience with the Lord.

            The Fruit of the Spirit is Self-Control.
Love is the ignition of Self-Control.
Joy is the outcome of Self-Control.
Peace is the wake of Self-Control.
Patience is the fuel of Self-Control.
Kindness is the focus of Self-Control.
Goodness is the currency of Self-Control.
Faithfulness is the benefit of Self-Control.
Gentleness is the rest of Self-Control.

 This last Fruit of the Spirit is somewhat of an oxymoron. The whole point of the Fruit of the Spirit is that they are produced by the Spirit and not through self-effort. However, even though “self” is part of the title it only identifies that which is being controlled. Because we have a soul and a body (flesh) that are not immediately born-again the way our spirit is at salvation, we need help controlling the propensity we have toward doing wrong. Paul described it like this.

Romans 7:13-20 (ESV)
Did that which is good, then, bring death to me? By no means! It was sin, producing death in me through what is good, in order that sin might be shown to be sin, and through the commandment might become sinful beyond measure. For we know that the law is spiritual, but I am of the flesh, sold under sin. For I do not understand my own actions. For I do not do what I want, but I do the very thing I hate. Now if I do what I do not want, I agree with the law, that it is good. So now it is no longer I who do it, but sin that dwells within me. For I know that nothing good dwells in me, that is, in my flesh. For I have the desire to do what is right, but not the ability to carry it out. For I do not do the good I want, but the evil I do not want is what I keep on doing. Now if I do what I do not want, it is no longer I who do it, but sin that dwells within me.

This is not the end of Paul’s explanation, but you get the point. Once our spirit becomes alive through Christ we want to see the image of Jesus manifested in us. Our soul and flesh have to be taught, and thus the need for the Holy Spirit to work Self-Control in us. I have seen more people side-tracked from seeking the Lord because they felt it was up to them to “get right.” Until you understand that you can NEVER get it all together on your own you will live a frustrated life.

Paul’s final conclusion is this: “I must die daily.” (1 Cor. 15:31) Jesus said, “If anyone would come after me, let him deny himself and take up his cross daily and follow me.” (Luke 9:23 ESV) This doesn’t mean we have to be saved anew every day. It the admonition for us to realize all that has been provided for us through Christ and His sacrifice, so that we can live in the power of His resurrection by the Holy Spirit. This is not just religious jargon, but absolute truth by which we are saved completely, spirit, soul, and body, and have the Fruit of the Spirit being produced in us to be a witness of what Jesus has done in us.

Take time to review these posts regarding the Fruit of the Spirit. Allow God to make it part of our conscious thoughts throughout the day, and you will find yourself showing more love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, and self-control.



No comments: