Friday, November 13, 2015

The Theology of Worship Music – Mighty to Save by Ben Fielding and Reuben Morgan

The Theology of Worship Music – Mighty to Save
by Ben Fielding and Reuben Morgan

Here’s another Reuben Morgan song. I really like this guy. He is definitely one of the best Hillsong writers. This is another song that doesn’t draw on one particular passage of scripture for its lyrics, but every line in it is a description of some aspect of the work of Jesus in the life of the Believer.

Verse one gives a simple explanation as to what draws a person to Christ. When words like compassion, unfailing love, mercy, forgiveness, kindness, and hope describe someone, it becomes very easy to give them your heart. That is exactly who Jesus is: Savior. He is Mighty To Save.

The chorus follows with some of the things that qualify Jesus to be our Savior. He can move mountains.

Matthew 21:21 (KJV) Jesus answered and said unto them, Verily I say unto you, If ye have faith, and doubt not, ye shall not only do this which is done to the fig tree, but also if ye shall say unto this mountain, Be thou removed, and be thou cast into the sea; it shall be done.

He is the author and finisher of our faith.

Hebrews 12:2 (KJV) Looking unto Jesus the author and finisher of our faith; who for the joy that was set before him endured the cross, despising the shame, and is set down at the right hand of the throne of God.

Jesus died, and was raised from the dead. The tomb is empty!

Romans 14:9 (KJV) For to this end Christ both died, and rose, and revived, that he might be Lord both of the dead and living.

The second verse leads the worshipper in a prayer of consecration to the Lord. It contains images that remind me of two classic hymns from my youth, Just As I Am and I Surrender All. “Take me as You find me.” Confession of “fears and failures”, the need for being filled, and yielding our life are all part of the Believer’s response to our Savior, Jesus Christ.

The bridge of the song reinforces the desire of the worshipper: Don’t look at me. I’m singing of One greater that myself. Let Him be glorified.


That really should be the desire of every Christian. I hope it is your desire. Sing on!

No comments: