Sunday, November 15, 2015

The Theology of Worship Music – Amazing Grace (My Chains Are Gone) by Chris Tomlin, John Newton, and Louie Giglio

The Theology of Worship Music – Amazing Grace (My Chains Are Gone)
by Chris Tomlin, John Newton, Louie Giglio

This worship song is based on one of the most beloved hymns of all time. John Newton, who wrote this great hymn, Amazing Grace, was a former captain of a slave ship. After he became a Believer he penned these words to which almost everyone can relate. It is believed the melody used in the original hymn came from songs sung by the slaves as they travelled the seas.

Chris Tomlin took some of the lyrics of John Newton, then added some from Louie Giglio, and also his own, to come up with this song, Amazing Grace (My Chains Are Gone). It introduced the original hymn to a new generation of worshippers and added a new sound for more seasoned worshippers.

Here’s a copy of the original lyrics written by John Newton.

     Amazing Grace (original version)

     Amazing grace! (how sweet the sound)
     That saved a wretch like me!
     I once was lost, but now am found,
     Was blind, but now I see.

     'Twas grace that taught my heart to fear,
     And grace my fears relieved;
     How precious did that grace appear
     The hour I first believed!

     Through many dangers, toils, and snares,
     I have already come;
     'Tis grace that brought me safe thus far,
     And grace will lead me home.

     The Lord has promised good to me,
     His word my hope secures;
     He will my shield and portion be
     As long as life endures.

     Yes, when this flesh and heart shall fail,
     And mortal life shall cease,
     I shall possess, within the veil,
     A life of joy and peace.

     The earth shall soon dissolve like snow,
     The sun forbear to shine;
     But God, who called me here below,
     Will be for ever mine.

     (1779)

As you can see, Chris Tomlin took verses one, two, four, and six, then added a chorus (or refrain), proclaiming, “My chains are gone!” It’s very easy to imagine John Newton expressing these same words when he became a Believer after seeing all the physical suffering endured by the slaves. Once saved, his spirit began to sing out of the freedom that he experienced in Christ.

This rewrite came in 2006 and it still sits at #12 on CCLI’s Top 25 Worship Songs. The reason is the timeless message and singability. The contrast used throughout the song gives a vivid backdrop for each thought to be portrayed.

            Sweet grace                                             >          wretched sinner
            Lost                                                          >          found
            Blind                                                         >          see
            Heart fear (reverence toward God)          >          fear (of sin) relieved
            Chains                                                      >          set free

The content of this song can clearly be traced back to scripture. There are so many references I didn’t take time to list them. Here are the basic tenets of our faith referenced in the rewrite.

            Verse 1 – redemption through the blood of Jesus
            Verse 2 – the presence of the Holy Spirit in the life of the Believer
            Verse 3 – blessings that flow to the Believer when living a life of faith
            Verse 4 – the Blessed Hope of the Church – eternally in God’s presence

Interposed between the verses, Tomlin adds the refrain to remind us in each step of our journey in Christ that we have been set free from every weight and sin that would attempt to keep us from experiencing God’s best for us.

Sing, Church! The Lord’s grace is amazing!


No comments: