Thursday, November 21, 2019

The Names of God - Faithful Creator


Faithful Creator

1 Peter 4:19 (ESV)
Therefore let those who suffer according to God’s will entrust their souls to a faithful Creator while doing good.

The name of God, Faithful Creator, used by Peter comes amid a subject that seems to be contradictory to the Creator’s plans and purpose for us. Peter is describing how the Believer should respond to suffering. Jesus promised that in this world we will have tribulation (for the gospel’s sake), “But be of good cheer. I have overcome the world!” (John 16:33) Jesus spoke these words to give His disciples hope that the life they would experience under the New Covenant would far exceed anything they could ever hope or imagine.

Through His death, burial, resurrection, ascension, and seating at the right hand of God, Jesus conquered everything that would keep us from enjoying fellowship with our God. He removed sin and its requirement of death from us forever. He gave us the Holy Spirit to fill us, empowering us to be witnesses to our world, to guide us and teach us in the way we should live.

Peter then gives us this encouragement. If you suffer for the sake of the gospel keep your trust in the One who loves you most: our Faithful Creator. These two words, when used together like this, speak of eternity past (creator) and eternity future (faithful). We were “conceived” in the mind of God before we were ever placed in the womb. We were given purpose and a destiny before our mother ever felt the quickening in her belly. Our God is well able to take care of us regardless of what we may face.

Look at a couple of other statements regarding the faithfulness of God.

Isaiah 26:3 (NKJV)
You will keep him in perfect peace, Whose mind is stayed on You, Because he trusts in You.

Hebrews 12:2 (ESV)
… looking to Jesus, the founder and perfecter of our faith, who for the joy that was set before him endured the cross, despising the shame, and is seated at the right hand of the throne of God.

Philippians 1:6 (ESV)
And I am sure of this, that he who began a good work in you will bring it to completion at the day of Jesus Christ.

And speaking specifically to suffering (for the gospel) you may experience, we have this promise.

Psalm 30:1-12 (ESV)
I will extol you, O LORD, for you have drawn me up and have not let my foes rejoice over me. O LORD my God, I cried to you for help, and you have healed me. O LORD, you have brought up my soul from Sheol; you restored me to life from among those who go down to the pit.

Sing praises to the LORD, O you his saints, and give thanks to his holy name. For his anger is but for a moment, and his favor is for a lifetime. Weeping may tarry for the night, but joy comes with the morning.

As for me, I said in my prosperity, “I shall never be moved.” By your favor, O LORD, you made my mountain stand strong; you hid your face; I was dismayed.

To you, O LORD, I cry, and to the Lord I plead for mercy: “What profit is there in my death, if I go down to the pit? Will the dust praise you? Will it tell of your faithfulness? Hear, O LORD, and be merciful to me! O LORD, be my helper!”

You have turned for me my mourning into dancing; you have loosed my sackcloth and clothed me with gladness, that my glory may sing your praise and not be silent. O LORD my God, I will give thanks to you forever!

This is a psalm of David, who certainly understood suffering because of the call of God on his life. Even though David did not have the Holy Spirit within as we do under the New Covenant, he describes the Faithful Creator in this psalm of praise. You turned my mourning into dancing, joy comes in the morning, His favor is for a lifetime.

One of my favorite songs from the group The Imperials was “He Didn’t Lift Us Up to Let Us Down.” The chorus said,

He didn’t bring us this far to leave us.
He didn’t teach us to swim to let us drown.
He didn’t build His home in us just to move away.
He didn’t lift us up to let us down.

Suffering always brings an opportunity for discouragement. Heed Peter’s words for us and “entrust our souls to a Faithful Creator.”

2 Timothy 1:8-12 (ESV)
Therefore do not be ashamed of the testimony about our Lord, nor of me his prisoner, but share in suffering for the gospel by the power of God, who saved us and called us to a holy calling, not because of our works but because of his own purpose and grace, which he gave us in Christ Jesus before the ages began, and which now has been manifested through the appearing of our Savior Christ Jesus, who abolished death and brought life and immortality to light through the gospel, for which I was appointed a preacher and apostle and teacher, which is why I suffer as I do. But I am not ashamed, for I know whom I have believed, and I am convinced that he is able to guard until that Day what has been entrusted to me.

Paul knew where to place his confidence. Develop your knowledge of God to know His ways. Learn to trust Him so when trouble comes your reflexive response is to run to Him. He is a Faithful Creator.




No comments: