Sunday, June 26, 2016

Women in the Bible – Abihail – mother of Zuriel, chief of the house of Merari

Women in the Bible – Abihail – mother of Zuriel, chief of the house of Merari

Numbers 3:33-37 (ESV) To Merari belonged the clan of the Mahlites and the clan of the Mushites: these are the clans of Merari. Their listing according to the number of all the males from a month old and upward was 6,200. And the chief of the fathers’ house of the clans of Merari was Zuriel the son of Abihail. They were to camp on the north side of the tabernacle. And the appointed guard duty of the sons of Merari involved the frames of the tabernacle, the bars, the pillars, the bases, and all their accessories; all the service connected with these; also the pillars around the court, with their bases and pegs and cords.

When you are young many things go through your mind. Thoughts of what could be. How will you spend your life? What accomplishments will mark your path through this world? Abihail’s life was spent in the wilderness. She most likely was born during the captivity of Egypt. Life as a slave girl was not easy. Her Hebrew name, ʾabîhayil, which means “father (i.e. possessor) of might” indicated she may have had a strong will that would help her through some very difficult times.

She crossed the Red Sea on dry land. She saw the pillar of fire and the pillar of cloud. She went out each day and gathered manna for her family during their years in the wilderness. As part of the band of Hebrews travelling through the wilderness their days were pretty much the same. She was married to someone from the Tribe of Levi, and thus served in the priesthood and tended to the Tabernacle. Specifically, they were responsible for “the frames of the Tabernacle, the bars, the pillars, the bases, and all their accessories; also the pillars around the court, with their bases and pegs and cords. ”There is no way Abihail could have ever imagined she would be part of a crew that erected a tent in the wilderness day in and day out, traveling as nomads. I can totally identify.

Growing up I never imagined I would be a computer programmer. There were no PCs, Macs, or any other form of personal computers. There were no gaming systems. I had never even seen a computer until I was in college. I took typing in high school, but every day in class I wondered why. “I’ll have a secretary. I don’t need to know how to type.” After my first year in college I worked with a band of brothers hauling hay. I worked on a pig farm. I learned to drive a tractor, back a trailer, slaughter a hog, and work a garden. None of these were ever on my “bucket list” as a child. It was not until years later that I understood, at least in part, why I had some of these life experiences. I was called to the Ministry of Helps. Most everything I learned came in handy when I went into full-time ministry.

Abihail probably knew how to do many things. Helping was probably at the top of that list. I imagine her being a source of encouragement and a steadfast rock for her children, husband, and others in the close family. Of course, we may never know fully what impact she had on the lives of those in her world. But, God mentioned her in His Book. I’m very glad. It lets me know that God knows the importance of those living a seemingly mundane existence. However, Abihail and her family played an important role in the development of a nation, Israel, that would one day produce the Messiah, Jesus, who would change everyone’s life forever.

Never underestimate the significance of your role in life. If you are a Believer, you have purpose. Your gifts and abilities are important to God, and needed by every other Believer. You are part of a Body. There are no “unneeded” parts of a body. Do what you do, and do it well, so that God will be glorified and you will be edified.


Even if it’s just putting up a tent!

No comments: