Sunday, June 19, 2016

Father

Father

I love words. I see more humor in them than most, or at least the things that I think are funny. Like today as we were driving the Nashville I noticed signs on two different businesses. One said Bobo Variety’s. It amazes me that someone would have paid money to have a sign made and installed without someone else at least challenging them on the wording. I think they intended one of these other, more plausible, wordings: Bobo’s Variety or Bobo Varieties. Either would have been a better fit.

The other had a similar error. The sign read Video’s Plus. Apparently the same sign maker did this one. I’m not sure what the apostrophe was supposed to add to this name.

I don’t consciously look for things like this. They just jump out at me. I’m not sure exactly what all that has to do with the topic at hand. I just thought you might enjoy them like I did.

It’s Saturday night, Father’s Day Eve. We had a baby shower for my first grandchild today. It is also my wife’s birthday. As we settle in for the night I began to reminisce about my father. He died when I was nine. I don’t remember much about him, which is unfortunate. I know he was a remarkable man. I’ve shared on that many times. But tonight is a little different. My dad died about 7 months before his first grandchild was born. I know he would have been an amazing grandfather. It is one of the deep regrets that I have for my own children. They have never known either of their grandfathers.

Fortunately God has placed some men in their life over the years that have filled that void to some degree. But there is no substitute for the real thing. My sons embody much of what I remember about my father. Kids love them. I know each of them will be an amazing father. And for the sake of their children and grandchildren, I pray a long life will be theirs to enjoy those precious lives that will come through them.

So in light of this day, I decided to look at what all could be found in “Father.”

Fa       – a long, long way to run (Google it. It’s a song reference).
Fat      – too close to home.
At         – where you tend to find fathers … everywhere.
Far      – the lengths to which they will go for their family.
Fear    – their constant battle: to prevent it from coming near their home, and the tactic
            of the enemy to keep them from becoming all that God intends.
Her     – his wife, his reason for waking up in the morning.
The     – reason for living: Jesus and Him crucified.
After    – usually when all is said and done, he is still there.
Earth – God literally made man from dirt. But it also takes this space to hold his love.
Hate   – there’s no room for this, ever.
Heart – he has one, he gives it away.
Feat – without dads ERs would have a lot less business.
Hear – dads do this often.
Heat – dads take this often.
Heft – usually why the ERs are busy.
Tear – they dry many of these, and shed a few.


If you haven’t already done so, talk to your dad.

No comments: