Friday, April 1, 2016

Sober

Sober

Note: I wrote this a while back. The reference to time would be closer to 3-4 years ago.

I don’t know if I have ever considered the word “sober” as mentioned in scripture, but I believe I have come to that place in recent days. I don’t know how else to describe it. In the past few days several friends have encountered some life-changing events. Not the good kind. They didn’t get the promotion at work, or gifted with a new car or house, or receive word of promise for a worry-free future.

No. They received word that a precious daughter on the verge of launching into the prime of life may have a debilitating disease. They found out their precious young daughter is not developing properly. They learned their father/husband/grandfather/friend is facing the most difficult struggle of his life.

Singing the fast songs at church will not change their circumstance. Hearing a well-phrased sermon on how to be a good church member does not give them substance.

No. They need something of substance that can secure them in this tumultuous sea of fear. They need hope. They need a Savior.

I love to hear encouraging words. It’s part of my love language. I love giving encouragement. I love to do things for people. However, in times like those described earlier encouragement does not overcome the raucous din of the news bombarding the very core of their faith.

It is in moments like these that I remember the verse in Psalm 11.

Psalm 11:3 (ESV) if the foundations are destroyed, what can the righteous do?”

It is in these times that we “sober up”, become fully aware of our mortality, and realize that without God we are hopeless. However, WITH God there is always hope! I believe the psalmist was having one of these moments when they penned Psalm 18.

Psalm 18:1-2 (ESV) I love you, O LORD, my strength. The LORD is my rock and my fortress and my deliverer, my God, my rock, in whom I take refuge, my shield, and the horn of my salvation, my stronghold.

If the foundations are removed it means you are down to bedrock. There is nowhere left to go. You have reached “the bottom”, but you have found the Lord. He can build your life again, if you allow Him. If He is the foundation your life will be firmly anchored for any storm that may present itself.

Peter encouraged those in his day with these words, and God preserved them as counsel for us to live by today.

1 Peter 5:8-11 (ESV) Be sober-minded; be watchful. Your adversary the devil prowls around like a roaring lion, seeking someone to devour. Resist him, firm in your faith, knowing that the same kinds of suffering are being experienced by your brotherhood throughout the world. And after you have suffered a little while, the God of all grace, who has called you to his eternal glory in Christ, will himself restore, confirm, strengthen, and establish you. To him be the dominion forever and ever. Amen.


It is time to sober up.

No comments: