Wednesday, May 31, 2023

Anticipation

 

Anticipation is a powerful force. It is motivating. It is life-giving. It keeps us moving forward. I read a study years ago about the emotional well-being of nursing home patients. It was very revealing. It focused on patients who had regular visitors. One group had visitors that would come regularly, but at random times. There was no schedule associated with the visits. The guests would simply pop in whenever they had time. The other group had regular visitors, but they kept to a schedule.

The study revealed the members of the second group had a better disposition than those in the first, even though both had visitors. The anticipation in the second group kept them in a better place emotionally because they had something to look forward to. “My son is coming tomorrow!” “My grandchildren will be here Saturday!” It gave more meaning to their day because of what they knew was coming.

Another story I heard was about a young boy who became very sick. The attending doctors were very concerned; death was a strong possibility. The boy’s teacher came to see him, and even brought the assignments they were doing in class.

The boy started on the assignments, even though he did not feel well, he stayed with the assignments, completing each one. His condition eventually improved. Upon being discharged, some asked, “Were you worried about dying?” He said, “I never knew I was dying. I assumed since my teacher brought my homework to me, I must be going to make it.”

What are you anticipating? Are you expecting good things? Are you looking for opportunities, or are you focused on the problems? See, worry is simply anticipation of the negative. Both will affect your mental state; one for good, one for bad.

Learn to look for something to live for instead of worrying about all the things trying to kill you. Go for a walk. Take a drive. Visit a friend. Clean out a closet. Buy a new shirt or blouse. Write a letter to yourself or someone else. Find a way to encourage another, and you will, by default, be encouraged. I hope today is one of your best days ever. It can be!

1 comment:

Martha Harris said...

Thank you for writing this thought out! I’m learning how to anticipate the good!