Wednesday, October 30, 2019

The Names of God - Covert from the Tempest


Covert from the Tempest

Isaiah 32:2 (ESV)
Each will be like a hiding place from the wind, a shelter from the storm (KJV says, “covert from the tempest”), like streams of water in a dry place, like the shade of a great rock in a weary land.

One of the reasons the King James Version of scripture is difficult to understand is due to the “King’s English” that was employed by the translators. For the most part, we do not hear much use of words like “covert” or “tempest,” except maybe by poets. This does not invalidate the truth that is contained in scripture. There are hundreds of other translations that use our current vernacular.

Covert from the Tempest simply means, “Shelter from the Storm.” This is such a great picture of the affect God has on our life. Jesus declared that as long as we are in this world there would be tribulation.

John 16:33 (ESV)
“I have said these things to you, that in me you may have peace. In the world you will have tribulation. But take heart; I have overcome the world.”

The last part of that is where we must place our faith. Jesus overcame through His death, burial, resurrection, ascension, and seating at the right hand of the Father. Through the Holy Spirit who was sent to us to indwell the Believer, we have the Peace of God living inside us … forever! He will never leave. We are never alone! When the storm comes He is our Shelter.

When my mother was young, around twelve or thirteen, her home was struck by a tornado. Her life was spared, but her mother and sister both died from injuries sustained in the disaster. Because of this, she was never able to get beyond the fear of bad weather. Any time there were storms nearby Mom would immediately take cover. Even though I understood the basis of her fear, I did not have the same fear because I had never gone through the terror that she survived.

Shortly after our daughter was born we experienced a storm at our home in Cullman. Early on a November Sunday I was awakened by strobe lightening and strong winds. I looked out the window and decided to be cautious and take refuge in the basement. A loud clap of thunder awakened our two boys, so I asked Martha to go get the baby and let’s go downstairs.

Just about the time we made it down there was a strong gust of wind and a loud crunching sound. In a few minutes water began to drip through the floor above us. The power was still on, so I decided to go kill the breaker to avoid the risk of electrocution. When I got upstairs something caught my eye. In the small hallway between the children’s bedrooms there was a limb protruding through the ceiling. I walked toward it to get a better look when I noticed the back wall of the house had been damaged by fallen trees.

I shut off the main breaker, grabbed a flashlight, and headed back downstairs when I noticed another limb right above the bed where my wife and I had been sleeping. The whole experience was so surreal, but thought the ordeal I never experience fear. I knew we would be safe, even before the storm hit.

We were displaced from our home for about three months until all the repairs were completed. Our home suffered damage but we did not.

Being in Covenant with Father does not mean we will never have problems. However, the problems will never have us! He is our peace. He is our Shelter from the Storm.

Another place Isaiah worded it this way:



Isaiah 25:4 (ESV)
For you have been a stronghold to the poor, a stronghold to the needy in his distress, a shelter from the storm and a shade from the heat; …

Let us take solace in knowing that God is able to keep us in any circumstance. Regardless of what you may be facing there is always hope in the Lord.

No comments: