Friday, July 8, 2016

8 July 2016 - My Perspective of the Day

My understanding of predestination from scripture tells me that I did not choose when, where, or into what circumstances, I would be born. Therefore, I cannot apologize for being a Southern American white male.

However, the other side of predestination is this: every person born has the same objective: Become conformed to the image of Jesus Christ.

The day I became self-aware (some call this the age of accountability) of my need for a Savior I became responsible for every decision I made from that moment. I choose to hate; I choose to love. I choose to be violent; I choose to be peaceful. I cannot justify my actions based on anyone else’s actions because I am not accountable for them, only for myself.

My upbringing occurred during the ‘60s in Birmingham, Alabama. My father was a police officer under Bull Conner. He regularly wore riot gear, and was part of the police force that engaged in scandalous acts toward the civil rights protestors of that day. I don’t know to what extent he was involved, if at all, in any of the unlawful violence toward some of the demonstrators. I was only nine when he died. We didn’t ever talk about those things before then, or if we did, I didn’t fully understand them.

My father was shot by a black man (I use “black” because it seems to be the current vernacular, i.e. “Black Lives Matter”) while trying to retrieve the stolen property of a business he was sworn to protect. For those who know me, you may not have even known the race of the man who shot my father. I never bring it up because to me it is irrelevant. My father is dead, and that’s all that I knew at the end of the day.

I admit I am prejudiced; not racially, but on behalf of the police who serve us regardless of skin color. I always lean toward the officer in any situation, because I know what happens every morning when he or she leaves for work, and the heavy sigh of relief of their spouse when they return home safely each evening. They live every day with the thought that today could be their last.

I’ve seen many statistics thrown about these days. One that is glaringly absent is the number of assaults against police officers. The latest data that I could find was from 2013. Over 28,000 police officers were assaulted that year; 461 people were killed by police that same year. Less than 1% of individuals who injured police officers died as a result of their actions. That seems like a lot of restraint to me.

Until you hear the complete story of a particular incident you cannot make a judgment. Even if there is video of the actual event (in the current case, there is not) you do not have the whole story. Until you have approached a car with unknown subjects, not knowing if they will be friendly, respectful, and compliant, or combative or noncompliant, you have to assume the worst case scenario for your own safety.

The other issue is the injustice of our legal system. If your side loses the court case it is always unjust. But, until we have a better system in place it is the only way to resolve these issues. Violence against police is not the answer regardless of the circumstances. If the office involved did something wrong he will have to answer for that. Until we know the whole story we cannot become judge and jury.

As with any segment of people that you can measure, there are some people serving as police officers that are bad people. With the vetting that occurs, and the endless training they receive, I believe it to be a small number. Also, good people can make bad decisions. Both of those are dealt with through the legal system, and I believe it has been pretty effective through the years. There is an automatic investigation anytime an officer is involved in a shooting. He surrenders his weapon on the spot and is assigned to alternate duty until the incident has been investigated. What if you were held to that same standard in your job?

What if someone came behind you and checked everything that you did, and if found in error, you would be reprimanded, or worse? I realize when you introduce guns it changes things drastically, but the level of scrutiny to which officers are evaluated is far beyond any other industry that I know.

The end result is this: when stopped by an officer, regardless of how unjustified you feel it may be, try to be kind. Do what they ask. Do not do anything that would give them reason to be alarmed (sudden actions, abusive language, threatening gestures, etc.). If you feel their actions are inappropriate then pursue legal action toward them. It is your right, and they are responsible for their behavior.


The answer to all of this was given in the second paragraph. If each of us would pursue that which we were created for – becoming the image of Christ – all of this would be moot.

No comments: