Wednesday, March 30, 2016

We Were Guilty … But God – A Communion Devotion

We Were Guilty … But God – A Communion Devotion

While living in Cullman, I became acquainted with a man named Stanley Barnett. He is probably one of the nicest people I have ever met. He always had a pleasant demeanor, soft-spoken, but very outspoken about his love for the Lord, Jesus Christ.

One day in his hardware store we were discussing his family. He was telling me about his sister and some of the struggles she was having, asking me to pray for her. He then related a story to me that gave me such a clear picture of what our Lord has done for us.

The story goes something like this:

My dad was very abusive. He drank, and when he did he became violent. When he arrived home after drinking he would always be angry with the kids. There were 5 children, me being the oldest. Whenever he decided something was wrong (even if there was nothing) he would make us line up, oldest to youngest, and would beat us with a razor strop several times. And he would hit us hard.

Being the oldest, I was always first in line and took the brunt of his anger. When he finished with me he would start in on the next one. My sister was not very strong. She was sick a lot and could not sustain the beating that he would give her.

Isaiah 53:5 tells us that Jesus was “… wounded for our transgressions, he was bruised for our iniquities: the chastisement of our peace was upon him; and with his stripes we are healed.” Even though Jesus had done nothing wrong (He lived a sinless life) He bore the stripes on His back so that we would not have to.

Stanley continued his story:

After I received my beating, as unjust as it was, I would go to the back of the line where my sister was. When it came her turn I stepped up and told my dad, “She’s too weak. Please don’t do this to her.” He said, “Move out of the way boy! She deserves it the same as the rest of you.” I said, “Then let me have hers.” My dad, without flinching, began to beat me again.

That sister was not guilty, but she had someone willing to take her place so she would not have to suffer. The main difference between this story and our story is this: we were guilty. We deserved punishment for the sin we perpetrated against a holy God. But instead of punishing us, there was One that came to where we were in the line. When it came our turn He said, “I’ll take whatever is due them.”


This cup and this wafer are reminders to us that we didn’t have to feel the sting of the strop that was being swung toward us, nor will we have to feel the sting of death when that time comes, because we have an Elder Brother that showed mercy on us. Let this remind us of the stripes that He bore so that you and I can experience freedom in Christ, and enjoy a relationship with our Father God, unclouded by sin and transgressions.

No comments: