Thursday, December 3, 2015

The Theology of Worship Music – Blessed Be Your Name by Matt Redman and Beth Redman

The Theology of Worship Music – Blessed Be Your Name
by Matt Redman and Beth Redman

Matt Redman has been writing songs for many years, with many of those becoming staples in Christian worship. Blessed Be Your Name is one of those songs.

The lyrics reflect the state of being in which we find ourselves, abundance vs. desert place and sunshiny days vs. dark suffering, and the offers the response that Believers should give: Thanksgiving to God.

Philippians 4:10-13 (ESV) I rejoiced in the Lord greatly that now at length you have revived your concern for me. You were indeed concerned for me, but you had no opportunity. Not that I am speaking of being in need, for I have learned in whatever situation I am to be content. I know how to be brought low, and I know how to abound. In any and every circumstance, I have learned the secret of facing plenty and hunger, abundance and need. I can do all things through him who strengthens me.

Ephesians 5:18-21 (ESV) … but be filled with the Spirit, addressing one another in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing and making melody to the Lord with your heart, giving thanks always and for everything to God the Father in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, submitting to one another out of reverence for Christ.

This song flies in the face of the name-it-and-claim-it hyper-faith segment of Christians. I have attended churches that have had “blessings” as the focus of Christ’s sacrifice. Even though I do not agree with everything they teach, I also do not find myself in the camp of those that wallow in poverty as a sign of their Christian humility. I just agree with what Paul wrote: “I am content in any situation.”

That being said, I also agree with Paul when he wrote, “I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.” I can overcome circumstances that attempt to hinder the purposes of God.

I believe that God wants to bless us. It has nothing to do with a luxury automobile or designer clothing. It has everything to do with God supplying the needs that I encounter pursuing His plan for my life.

Romans 8:37-39 (ESV) No, in all these things we are more than conquerors through him who loved us. For I am sure that neither death nor life, nor angels nor rulers, nor things present nor things to come, nor powers, nor height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God in Christ Jesus our Lord.

I take issue with the use of the passage from Job that is featured in the bridge of the song. It is very clear from the previous verses in Job chapter one that God was not the one that took from Job. It was satan. Job also had not yet gotten the revelation that he had by the end of the Book of Job concerning God’s blessing. This is a topic that needs more explanation than can be given in a short blog post. Perhaps later.

When I used the song in times of worship I changed the lyrics to the bridge. We sang: “I live to give You praise”, instead of “You give and take away.”

Please know that if you sing the original lyrics I do not think less of you. If I’m in a service and they use this song I do not walk out in protest. It is just something that I have issue with because of the extreme teaching of the poverty preachers I encountered growing up.


So, sing the song. Give praise to God. Bless the name of the Lord. He is worthy of our praise.

No comments: