Sunday, March 3, 2024

Generational Blessing

A hobby I’ve dabbled with for a while now is genealogy research. Knowing my roots has become more important with age. Generational transfer of information seems to be a lost art in our Western culture. I don’t think it was anything intentional or malicious, but lost, nonetheless. Life has become busy. Information is accessible in so many forms. Now, we simply post a meme or reel or emoji instead of having a conversation. Again, I don’t think it is some evil conspiracy, just the result of a culture unaware of the importance of generational connection.

I love to find old photos of my ancestors. Occasionally, I’ll come across a story discovered in old newspapers or sites like Ancestry.com and FamilySearch.org. I also love to visit the location of an old home place or business of my ancestors and imagine what life would have been like for them. It doesn’t change history, but will hopefully make life richer for me, and possibly those who come after me.

I think all of us, at some point in our lives, wonder if we have made a difference in our world. Have we accomplished anything which will remain after we are gone? There is a lot of talk about legacy of politicians and other public figures. Recently, it seems this has become a fixation while people are still living. The problem with those still living, any attempt to determine their legacy is somewhat futile. Legacy is something determined by future generations. 

The talk of “The G.O.A.T” (greatest of all time) in various sports, again, is moot because we haven’t lived “all time” yet. Plus, sports are constantly evolving. Sports technology, medical technology, and the rules by which the game is played all affect how “good” a particular player is. Other factors, in my opinion, are things like the coaching staff, facilities, teammates, and in the case of professional teams, ownership. “No man is an island,” according to John Donne. The case is constantly being debated: Jordan vs. LeBron, Montana vs. Brady, etc. The reality is we will never know because these players, and many like them, will never face one another to determine the winner.

Instead of worrying about our legacy, we need to try and live as one in pursuit of that for which we were made. Inside of every person is a desire to pursue something. Far too many lose this desire early in life due to tragic circumstances: physical abuse, poor health, being disadvantaged (finances, culture, ethnicity, etc.), etc. When you face every day with words being directed at you like, “you were a mistake,” “you will never …,” “you’re a disappointment,” it takes a special mental and spiritual makeup to not be taken down.

This is one reason I have taken up the practice of blessing. For the past few months, I’ve been writing a Sunday Blessing for my blog. There are always those giving you reasons why you will fail. I believe it is in the heart of God, the Father, to want His people blessed. If you study scripture, you will find ways how God built blessing into the culture of His followers. We have recorded for us in the gospels where Jesus was baptized by John. Afterward, as Jesus walked up out of the water, a sound from heaven came with the words, “This is my beloved Son, in whom I am well pleased!” Again, at what is referred to as the Transfiguration, the same voice from heaven came, declaring, “This is My beloved Son, in whom I am well pleased.” If Jesus ever had a doubt before His baptism, those doubts vanished when such a blatant display of love and affirmation came booming for all to hear.

My father was taken from my life when I was nine years old. I never received his words of affirmation spoken over me that I remember. I was cared for and was never abused or mistreated as a child. There was plenty of love shown in our home. But having such a vital influence removed from my life during such impressionable years affected me. It’s not an excuse for anything. It did cause me a lot of grief through the years. I struggled with being a father because I never had it modeled for me. The only grandfather I ever knew died the year before my father. My paternal grandfather died when my dad was only ten years old.

Even though I was raised in church, the practice of blessing is no longer part of the fabric of the Western version of Christian expression. This is changing, but very slowly. Several authors have dedicated their efforts to bringing the importance and meaning of blessing back into the Church. We need more.

If we can raise a generation who are aware of the blessing they were created to be and allow them to live the pursuit of that for which they were created, we will see a change in the tide of creativity and freedom which can change the world. When an army of souls have the understanding of their place in The Kingdom, and their relationship with The King, armed with the confidence that they matter, and that their God and their family are backing them every step of the way, there is no limit on what can be accomplished.

So, by speaking the truth about God, and His Son, and the Holy Spirit, coupled with unqualified love and support, we can then speak into the lives of those coming after us which will be unstoppable. We will see mountains moved, bridges built, and generational gaps eliminated. Let’s celebrate what is in these amazing children and grandchildren coming after us. Even if you have never heard of “blessing” it is never too late to start. Regardless of the hurt, disadvantage, etc., these warriors can still affect change in their world, and ours. Take some time to learn about blessing. Learn how it is the heartbeat of God, and see your world transformed.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Well said, my friend