Tuesday, January 15, 2019

Aspiration or Aspiration


Many who know me are aware of my fascination with words; specifically English. There are many things that make me wonder about our language. It is almost as if some tried to make it hard just for fun. (Probably an English teacher.)

One of these words is “aspiration”. Look at the varied definitions of this simple word:

as·pi·ra·tion

Noun

1.
A hope or ambition of achieving something.
The object of one's hope or ambition; a goal.

2.
MEDICINE
The action or process of drawing breath.
The action of drawing fluid by suction from a vessel or cavity.

3.
PHONETICS
The action of pronouncing a sound with an exhalation of breath.

The thing I find odd about it is this: the same word that describes our reason for living is also a way of causing death. On one hand it is the inspiration causing us to soar to new heights of accomplishment, and the other ending our life before its time.

It seems we could find a way to limit the use of such terms. I realize it is because the root-meanings are the same. When achieving great things it tends to cause you to take a deep breath (aspiration), and choking to death also can be cause by taking a deep breath.

It’s just they have diametrically opposed outcomes. I know nothing will change because of my rants, but it helps me to vent them from time to time. Let me know some of you personal word pet-peeves.

Until then, keep on enunciating!


No comments: