Tuesday, May 3, 2016

Weapons for the Believer: 10 – Knowing Your Identity In Christ – Part 2

Weapons for the Believer: 10 – Knowing Your Identity In Christ – Part 2

According to Paul, there are weapons of warfare.

2 Corinthians 10:3-4 (ESV)
For though we walk in the flesh, we are not waging war according to the flesh. For the weapons of our warfare are not of the flesh but have divine power to destroy strongholds.

We are considering ten weapons that the Believer has at their disposal. We looked at the first nine in previous posts. If you haven’t read them I encourage you to do so.

The last “weapon” we considered was “Knowing Your Identity In Christ.” There are a few more things that need to be said regarding this.

One of the greatest misconceptions among Believers is Humility. A wrong understanding of this one simple area can keep someone from becoming the Christ-like person that God has predestined for every human being.

The following is how many in the Church perceive Humility:

I’m like Gideon, just the poorest of the poor. I’m not able to do much but I sure love Jesus!

I’m just a doorkeeper in the Kingdom. I prefer to work behind the scenes and help where I can.

I just hope I make it to heaven. I’m not worthy, but it’s just the grace of God.

I just want a little cabin in the corner of heaven.

Here’s the funniest, even though I’ve never heard anyone say this personally: I’m just the dirt under the toenail on the feet of Jesus.

This is not humility. When you get to the root of each of these you will find the motivation is actually pride! They want others to notice their humility. That negates the whole thing.

For a great example of humility you need to look at John the Baptist, the real Gideon, and Jesus. You see, real humility is to accept who you are in Christ, and willingly walk in that calling.

When people came to John the Baptist in the wilderness they asked, “Who are you?” He did not reply with, ‘I’m nobody. I’m just out here wearing camel hair and eating wild honey.’” No, he responded with, “I am the voice of one crying in the wilderness. Make straight the paths of our Lord!” And that, my friend, was somebody! He was not boasting. He was making a statement of fact.

Very few ever attribute “humility” to Jesus regarding His actions, but mostly in His teaching. They know He said, “Turn the other cheek.” But Jesus also said, “I must be about my Father’s business.” He also boldly stated, “If you have seen Me you have seen the Father.” That is most humble thing He could say; admitting who He was and why He was here.

The real story of Gideon is not his apologetic refusal to God when asked to deliver the nation of Israel from captivity. That was pride talking. Gideon was giving God reasons why his own plan was better than the one God had. That is PRIDE!! The humility came in receiving the call and walking in it. Once he “humbled himself” and accepted what God had planned, Gideon was able to do amazing things.

Until you come to grips with who you are in Christ you will wander aimlessly. Some wander into a good outcome. Those are rare, and most are well below the place that God intended for them. However, when you come to the realization that God has a plan and purpose for you, embrace it. Do not be afraid to state it. It is not pride to admit that God has given you an assignment. It is the ultimate demonstration of humility: yielding our life for His.


Let us learn to walk in TRUE humility and see what God will do!

No comments: